A handful of ingredients and some fresh steelhead trout are the recipe for an amazing weeknight meal.
I used to never cook protein. I’m not big into meat as it is (I’ve been pescatarian for over a year now), but even when I was eating more meat, I’d always pass the cooking off to my boyfriend or another friend while I handled the rest of the meal.
I definitely have a lot more confidence in the kitchen than I did back in my college days. I almost always make up my own recipes, and I’m willing to take risks and try new things.
A while back, I found an amazing source for fresh, local seafood and I buy these steelhead trout fillets probably twice a month. They’re so fresh and amazing on their own, they don’t need much in the way of seasoning to distract you from their flavor.. but with just a few simple ingredients, you have yourself a jaw-dropping protein course with minimal effort!
Can’t get steelhead trout in your area? No problem. The flavors in this dish will go well with a fresh salmon fillet too!
- 4 x 1/2lb steelhead trout fillets
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 12 – 16 thin slices of lemon
- drizzle of avocado oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, lay the trout fillets, skin side down and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Lightly drizzle the trout with avocado oil and rub to make sure all of the flesh is coated.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, and lemon zest.
- Top the trout filets with the seasoning mixture and rub to make sure all of the flesh is coated.
- Top each fillet with 3-4 slices of lemon.
- Bake until there are white fat globules oozing from the trout and the meat is opaque and flakes easily – about 13-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fillets).
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Let sit while the trout cooks to the flavor from the dill and lemon sink into the yogurt.
- Remove lemon slices and top each fillet with yogurt sauce.